Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Pouring rain and candles

Monday I received my new shipment of raw Cocoa Butter and I was so eager to get to work yesterday making a batch of my Silky Cocoa Melts for my Etsy Store, Dark Moon Essentials. Upon going through my soap molds I realized that they were all too big for my purposes. Using any of them on my melts would create a melt that would make ones bathtub a big greasy mess. I was pretty disappointed.

It was raining out, Jocelyn was bored and I was itching to make something. All week Jocelyn has been watching me making bath salts, experimenting with new recipes and fooling around with different projects. She's asked to help many times but for sanitation purposes I can't really let her. Unless it's a batch I'm making for personal use or a test batch. Then I remembered I had about 20 lbs of candle wax and quite a few fragrance oils that I needed to do something with before they became too old. Clearing out space from the wax is an added bonus as supplies and inventory for my Etsy store are taking over my house!

So, it was decided we were pouring candles!

For the purpose of this post I'm only going to show you the finished products. I am not a professional chandler and I do not want to be responsible for anyone burning their house down. If you really want to see some great tutorials on making candles at home, you can check out Candlewic.com, they have some really great videos.

First, I asked Jocelyn what kind of candle she wanted to make. She decided she wanted to make a candle melt for the warmer and she chose the heart shaped molds from my soap mold collection. She wanted to color them red and picked cinnamon for the scent.






After we poured those I decided to pour a 3 wick candle in a fall colored loaf pan. I think that I bought this loan pan for a dollar at one of the local craft stores last fall. 


I used a white and red dye chip for this candle to give it a creamier and opaque look. I used cinnamon and cranberry for the scent. 

Next, I pulled out the soy wax and we made tarts and one tin container candle. 




The yellow tarts and tin were done in French Vanilla and Amber (one of my favorites!) and the purple was done in Love Spell. 


All of them together!

And, the best part of it all,  my girl proudly showing off the heart melts that she poured all by herself!



Best rainy day EVER!





3 comments:

Mommy Bags said...

Love that you did this with your daughter I am trying to get a little more crafty in order to do this fun stuff with my little one. New follower from the hop hope you ca come by and say hello

Denise McDonough said...

The 3 wic is AWESOME! I want one so bad!!! So cute!!!
And such a cute project with your daughter!!! She looks so proud!!!

So I am on the South shore :) where abouts are you?

Julie said...

Your candles look great!, I really like the hearts.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Makeovers by Tara