Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Way We Were (with Fire and Gun Safety Tips)

Today is November 9th.  Should be an ordinary day like any other. For many people, it is. For me, it isn't. Today signifies a turning point in my youth, a day that changed my life and who I am forever.

Saturday November 9th, 1986 as I was away for the weekend in Lynn, Mass with my mother visiting her High School best friend, Ludlow Massachusetts firefighters saw what was at the time the worst house fire in it's history. It was the the home of my grandparents and it claimed the lives of my Grandmother, Aunt and my 9 year old cousin Rachel. I was 7 years old.

Cousin Rachel and Auntie Diane on top
 and Rachel cutting her first communion cake on the bottom
My Mother, myself and Rachel on top,
Rachel and our Grandparents in Old Orchard Beach, ME.

My Memere, Aunt Diane, Pepere, and cousin Rachel.
Those were the days!

On November 9, 1991 a classmate of mine was fatally wounded by a gunshot. It was accidental. I was 12. Out of respect for his family and all of those involved, I will not reveal his name or any other details. Although, I know many of you have this date and his name etched into your hearts and minds forever.

In honor of them, in rememberance and respect, I light these candles, For my family, and, My dear friend.

I'd also like to take this time to talk a little bit about fire and gun safety.

The U.S. Fire Administration has some great tips and resources on fire prevention.

Please, remember, to always test your smoke detectors and fire alarms! You never know when you are going to need them!

If your children are old enough make sure to talk to them about the dangers of fires.

Plan an escape route and designate a meeting place outside of your home!

Make sure you have two exits out of each room of your home with a clear path to each.

Always keep a fire extinguisher in your home, especially in your kitchen.

Gun Safety

The National Rifle Association has some great tips for parents  and a great safety program called The Eddie Eagle Safety Program.

What happened to my friend was a tragic accident, and nobody's fault. However, knowledge is power and you can never, ever be too careful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Makeovers by Tara